My Business Coach set me the exercise of writing down the 25 things I stand for and then posting them for the world to see. As I read through them it is interesting that I have realised a lot of them in the last year when I have been focussing on personal development and business coaching. Every lawyer and every professional should have their own list. This is the code you live by.
So here we go:
1. Don’t say what you are going to do. Do it. Actions speak.
2. Do not hesitate. Make a decision and move. Speed of implementation is key. Best case, worst case, most likely outcome, decide, go.
3. Take extreme ownership. Accept that you are responsible for everything that happens in your world. Embrace that accountability.
4. Say “Yes” to things. Saying “Yes” opens the door to things you cannot even imagine. It is the first step to changing your life.
5. Seek and embrace change. It is ongoing and relentless. Embrace and enjoy the ride.
6. Spend more money on things that will pay you back. Don’t ask who much will it cost? Ask how much can it make me? Learning is an investment in you.
7. Never be satisfied. You can always do and be more.
8. Becoming the best version of yourself is your duty, obligation and responsibility. You are here to be the best you can be.
9. Life is a journey. There is no destination. You will move on. The people you meet, and love are fellow travellers. You may travel together for a day, a week, a year or a lifetime but we each have our own journey.
10. Generate ideas for new and different things. Keep going. Always move forward. Be ready and willing to cannibalise your existing business and way of doing things.
11. Good enough is better than perfect. You need to meet or exceed the expectation of your customers. That is good enough. Perfection is a myth.
12. Each time you do something it should be a bit better than the last time. Each time you do it your fear will subside.
13. Learn something new every day. Read something interesting every day. Know what is happening in the world and in your world.
14. Your best ideas are likely to come from taking things which someone else is doing somewhere else and bringing them into your world.
15. You can only focus on one thing at a time. Multi-tasking is a waste of time.
16. Work in parallel. You need different ideas and projects running side by side. Allocate time to give each one focus and attention to keep it moving.
17. Organise your day. Allocate time to work on things which are important. If you don’t drive your day your day will drive you.
18. Your most important assets are your relationships. Spend a lot of time nurturing and building relationships.
19. Fear is always there waiting for you. Embrace it, confront it. Master your fear or your fear will master you and paralyse you. Feel the fear and do it anyway.
20. There is no balance in life. There are choices. Choose the things which are important to you and spend time on them. Work is not a curse. Working hard and long on something which is important to you is a cause.
21. Family and friends are important. They are the reason you do what you do.
22. Look after your health. If you do not, then nothing else matters. Be as healthy as you can for as long as you can.
23. It is always easier to learn from a teacher or a coach. This applies to everything. A coach will hold you accountable to achieve what you want. They help you learn from their mistakes as well as your own.
24. There are 2 pains in life, and you must choose one of them. They are the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. You will suffer one and possibly acutely. Choose the pain of discipline.
25. Focus on the why and the what and let the how take care of itself. Know why you want things and know what you want. Then move forward. Don’t stop to try and work out how you are going to do it. You will discover that along the way.